Jim Lafferty on Leadership
A few years ago, I attended a seminar where Jim Lafferty then CEO CocaCola West Africa spoke on leadership. Going through my notes, I found some timeless insights I would love to share with you. Items after this paragraph are from Jim.
Characteristics of good leaders
1. People respect them - What you need in the working place is respect not love.
2. People want to work for them.
3. People feel support & protection.
4. People are loyal to great leaders.
5. People admire them & aspire to be like them.
Leadership emotions are built upon actions, behaviours and interactions.
12 leadership’s behaviours
1. Humble & human – not afraid to admit mistakes, great leaders admit their humanity.
2. Live by the principle “in third”
3. Brutal, 100% honesty, in all shapes and forms.
4. Demand truth and honesty in return and reward it.
5. Do what is right no matter the price.
• A principle is not a principle until it costs you something.
• Leaders must be above reproach.
6. Eliminate the following 3 words: Politics, Positioning,Bureaucracy.
7. Great leaders dream BIG.
8. Have the guts to take risks – calculated risks.
9. When you do something, do it with passion, or don’t do it at all.
10. Believe anything is possible – never say “can’t”.
11. Stay calm when the gun is against your head.
12. Seek to be different.